PDA

View Full Version : Buster and The Pietje Antje

Bustersmaid
18th December 2007, 16:56
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?
I am looking for anyone who can remember the Pietje Antje J117, a Beam trawler from Jersey but was working from Plymouth.
She was caught in a storm on the 14th of november 1980 and was lost at sea. She took three of her crew with her, Don Williams ( Skipper) Phil Kingham (Deck hand) and Buster Morgans the engineer...... And my Dad.
I would love to hear from anyone who remembers her, or remembers my Dad. I don't know much about him because I was only a six week old baby when he was lost.
Any information would mean the world too me!!

Thank you!!

martin johns
18th December 2007, 22:44
Hi Bustersmaid,
I didn't know your Dad but I have the Fishing News article from 1980 about the loss of the Pietje Antje if it is of any use to you. Whereabouts in the area did your Dad come from ?

Bustersmaid
18th December 2007, 23:02
Anything you have would be "SO" useful to me. Maybe help me to understand more about what happened.... And I hope maybe learn more about my Dad!
He came from the Cawsand/Milbrook area and worked from Milbay in Plymouth.
Thank you so much!

xXx

martin johns
18th December 2007, 23:16
Bustersmaid, I have sent you a PM.

Davie Tait
18th December 2007, 23:18
I've searched through the MAIB website and can't find a reference to her loss but thats not surprising as they only have limited info online from 1988 and earlier.

Bustersmaid
20th December 2007, 23:42
I've searched through the MAIB website and can't find a reference to her loss but thats not surprising as they only have limited info online from 1988 and earlier.

I rang them up a few months ago to see if I could get a copy of the return of death paper, they told me then that they had no more information.... Lots got lost or something!

How would I find out their radio call name??

Hope you have a good Christmas ans a safe new year

XXX

Davie Tait
20th December 2007, 23:49
I think they lost a lot of older papers in a fire in a store about 15-20 years ago but that is just a vague memory and we would need to confirm/correct me.

You might want to go into the Fishery Office for her home port at the time of her loss as they usually had copies of the reports ( the Scottish Fishery Office certainally used to have 20 years ago when I worked for them ) and they might have one in a store. Bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Have a happy Christmas and I hope the New Year brings you the information your looking for

Davie

westy
3rd January 2008, 16:38
from 1978 Olsens call sign21ww