PDA

View Full Version : Deans Marine MFV Tradition

westcoaster
30th October 2010, 22:55
Have been looking on Deans Marine website at this kit. O.K. they say this is not a model of a particular boat, but of a type. What I find a bit peculiar is that they show a coiler on deck together with a sidewinding set up,trawl gallows etc. I dont ever remember seeing a boat rigged that way. Interested to hear from the rest of you what you think.
Link to Deans website http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1903

nhp651
31st October 2010, 20:26
it's what we in the modelling world call a generic boat.
a friend who was a kit manufacturer before his death once said to me "bullshit baffles brains, and the more you slap onto a model the easier it will sell" because most buyers buy because they look very detailed, not because they are correct..

you just have to take off what you don't need and build scratch that which you do for your particular boat.
neil.

danleno
1st November 2010, 11:03
hi westcoaster,in the early 70s,a lot of boats were rigged with a combination winch, able to go seine netting and trawling,they were known as dual purpose boats .worst thing ever invented,, boats worked the seine net through the daylight hours then at dark switched over to the side trawl,
common type of winch then was a MASTRA.

bill wood
1st November 2010, 22:07
I have made models of the Millers 56ft and 60ft transom stern boats similar in style to 'Tradition' They had the fore and aft Mastra winch,coiler and some had the three trawl galows ,2 on the quarters and one fwd on the stbd side

Regds
Bill

westcoaster
1st November 2010, 22:55
Thanks for the information. When all's said and done I doubt I'll be forking out the 360 odd they want for this kit

Davie Tait
1st November 2010, 23:35
For less money than that you could get the Our Lass II model from Model Slipway !!

westcoaster
2nd November 2010, 10:24
Davie,
I already have ! She's on the stocks at the moment, just at the stage of getting the deck on. A very nicely moulded hull but needs a fearsome amount of ballast to get her floating to the waterline - somewhere about 12kg

Davie Tait
2nd November 2010, 10:45
2st of ballast OUCH !!! , ah well that means I could never own that model , couldn't lift it !!

bill wood
6th November 2010, 00:02
Westcoaster,
I can do a hull and whaleback of a Millers boat for 60

That leaves about 300 to buy a sheet of plywood and one of plastic and 20 for a motor.

Do the maths!
Regds
Bill