PDA

View Full Version : Trawler Photos Gallery

ally
22nd December 2006, 17:28
Every time i go on to the gallery there are pleanty folk viewing, thats good , "but" why should they be allowed to view when they dont contribute ?? seems to me there's only the same few that are adding photos which in my book is a tad bit unfair :confused: maybe Admin could have a wee think about making this a post photo only then view site !!!!!

Dave Leishman
22nd December 2006, 21:44
I fear that would result in a reduction in traffic and the possibility of people posting pics they've found elsewhere on the web, just to get them access and that would create a nightmare of copyright infringement issues...

It's always a sticky issue this one. On all forum/gallery sites the percentage of contributers (whether forums and gallery or one or the other) to viewers is always biased in the favour of the viewer only.

Even larger, general sites will have a large number of contributers, but spread across the individual forums/galleries that bias will always still apply.

The way to grow the site is to advertise it more to the community that have an interest in the content, but how to do that effectively and ethically eludes me for the moment! I'm open to any suggestions...

ally
22nd December 2006, 21:54
the possibility of people posting pics they've found elsewhere on the web, just to get them access

Well Dave i'm affraid thats happend already mate, surprised you havent seen it on the site already !!!! this was going on before i went away on my last trip mate. If you'd rather me PM you what i'm on about just say the word.Very surprised Davie hasent picked up on this as well like !!!

Dave Leishman
22nd December 2006, 23:11
Please feel free to PM me the details Ally!

Davie Tait
23rd December 2006, 01:52
No Ally I haven't noticed the copied photo's. Shame on me that is !!!

Davie

McFlett
25th December 2006, 19:52
ally - the very large majority of viewers probably have nothing to contribute. You have a very unique collection - the best on steam drifters available online that I can find.

I will post a couple of links elsewhere on the forum that have some steam drifter pics.

ally
26th December 2006, 09:19
Glad you like the oldies mate, its my father's photos, will have to get some more fae him and put them on the site.

Rob Andrew
31st January 2007, 20:36
For all sorts of reasons, when I see a posted image that has something I think would be useful , I save it to my own files. It's easier than trying to find it again months later when I've forgotten which website hosted the photo. So far, I've not been able to do that on this site; is this what this site intends, is there something I'm not doing right, or is it expected I should contact the poster?

If my photos can be posted in a format that permits viewers to download them without asking, that's fine by me. For what it's worth, I expect to go on posting anything that looks worth posting.

Given that I'm never going to post in great quantity, or quality, I'm still not sure I'd want to be pestered for permission to download. I have no problem with people downloading my posted images and wouldn't expect them to get in touch unless they needed more photos or better resolution.

By the way, I paint for a living and value access to good material.

Rob

Davie Tait
31st January 2007, 21:36
The software on the site is set to disable the right mouse button. Its still possible to save the photo's but pretty akward and time consuming. I personally do not mind people saving copies of my images to their PC's for personal reference. I do object to people using them on other sites/etc without asking permission tho.

With my photo's I do not make any money from them , however , the BBC has used 25 of my photo's over the years along with the printed press and STV. All money raised from these photo's are donated to the RNLI. For the photo of the Brothers BF138 I raised 200.

This is Dave's site and its his descision to add the photo markings and to try and restrict other people copying the photo's. This site is just a server for everyone that contributes photo's and if someone wants a copy of any photo all they have to do is contact the poster of the photo by PM/Email and they can get a copy that way.

Davie :D
( deputy admin bod)

Rob Andrew
1st February 2007, 09:30
Thanks, that's clear. Glad to hear you're another supporter of the RNLI. I contribute the odd painting or fee. There's one of mine at the Buckie lifeboat station which will go for RNLI funds sometime. It's also posted on shipsnostalgia.com if anyone is interested. Yes, this is me advertising for the 'Boats.

Rob

Dave Leishman
1st February 2007, 23:38
Heh! I didn't actually realise I'd disabled the right-click-to-save option. I guess it might be set by default and there are hundreds of options in the admin area - too many to play with when I set it up.

I guess if it's not an issue for people to be making copies for their own personal use then I'll remove that setting. I don't have a problem with people making personal copies of my photos (when I find time to upload them!). As Davie rightly says, it's very easy to bypass if you know how to do it, so a determined person isn't really deterred anyway.

If I don't get any objections within a week from this post date then I'll change the setting.

GY2007
3rd February 2007, 12:41
Rob,
If you right click on a thumbnail, it can be copied, but not on an expanded picture

Rob Andrew
3rd February 2007, 18:56
Ah yes, correct, but that just gets you the thumbnail. Mind you, that might do - it would still be a good marker/promt to help me go looking for the big version. Fingers crossed no-one objects to the big verions becoming available in the next few days.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob Andrew
8th February 2007, 09:38
Can I change the subject?

Is there anyone out there who might have a photo of FR.43 Palm Tree/Good Provider? From about fifty years ago. Someone's asked me to paint it for them.

Personally, I'd quite like to see something of my Buckie-grandfather's steam drifter Connage, or a later boat with family connections, Amarylis. Is she still around?

I might have tried starting a new thread (if I'd a clue how to go about it) and maybe proposed something for handling requests for photos of boats. It could be a photo exchange forum, a subscription "service". It might be almost a fishing version of all those family history sites.

Worth thinking about?

Rob

buckieloon
8th February 2007, 21:58
Ok,fair pint ally,i canna see what the problem is coz i canna download them ata as wallpapers never mind post them elsefaur,plus you have the finest collection of boaties ah ever have seen.The auld buckie aines are puir braw,i sailed on the brae's(bck175),best time o ma life aboard her,andy garden is a toff o a mannie.if there wiz to be a block on foks nae postin,i wud miss this sicht big time.
dinna suppose ye have a pic o the nordic prince somefaur loon,(aint i a cheeky so n so)
cheers
stewart fae buckie

Rob Andrew
9th February 2007, 10:22
There's photos of half a dozen Nordic Princes out there, popular name for a ferry, but, there's a trawler of that name leaving Aberdeen in photoship.co.uk.
It's not much - I canna make out the reg.no.

If you use the link below, you'll get straight to it, I think. I'm no whizz with these things.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery/N/slides/Nordic%20Prince.html

Give me a clue about her colours and I'll maybe do something with it some day, just for my own amusement. I may be able to find a better photo next time the Aberdeen Maritime Museum lets me into their library.

If you're interested, try shipsnostalgia.com for one I did of Ben Gulvain. Now fa's a cheeky loon. LOL.

KICK ASTERN
9th February 2007, 20:01
Rob, The boat in the icture is the Nordic Prince BCK 18. Finished her days a dark blue colour but not sure if she was always blue or not.
Kick Astern

GY2007
9th February 2007, 21:32
I think she was a sort of yellow when new, she finished up in Eire as the Star Immaculate, after being Green Castle FR

buckieloon
11th February 2007, 03:21
That's her Rob,thanks, she was bck18 but she had a deckshelter when i was aboard her, oooooo how i miss Rockall............not lol

Debra and Kenny
3rd October 2008, 05:31
Well I for one only post my own pics and will do the same here as well.....so it won't be that often as I am not in a good fishing port since the decline of the fishing industry and the sacrilege of all those beautiful boats being cut up ! I have to travel on a day out to get all my pics these days !
I also paint....but if I ever liked a certain picture of someone else's...I would always ask first...just common decency;)
Lovvies, Debra

Rob Andrew
3rd October 2008, 10:42
Slight change of subject.

I was looking at Kev Munroe's postings (if ever you need an argument for a new camera, look at the results from Kev's) and it struck me that the site has relatively few photos of harbours seen from seaward.

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=47943

We have a "Ports" gallery....

herringringerman
6th November 2009, 13:20
The software on the site is set to disable the right mouse button. Its still possible to save the photo's but pretty akward and time consuming. I personally do not mind people saving copies of my images to their PC's for personal reference. I do object to people using them on other sites/etc without asking permission tho.

With my photo's I do not make any money from them , however , the BBC has used 25 of my photo's over the years along with the printed press and STV. All money raised from these photo's are donated to the RNLI. For the photo of the Brothers BF138 I raised 200.

This is Dave's site and its his descision to add the photo markings and to try and restrict other people copying the photo's. This site is just a server for everyone that contributes photo's and if someone wants a copy of any photo all they have to do is contact the poster of the photo by PM/Email and they can get a copy that way.

Davie :D
( deputy admin bod)

dear david,
cant get onto the trawlers site can you help sort this out, as regards photos that i myself have taken in what way can i put on website for all users to look at i dont mind if any 1 want to take copy of them that up to them. hope you can sort out my problen.
best regards.
david. adair.
ex herringringerman.
safely home in harbour..

Robert Ritchie
6th November 2009, 19:25
It is not every one who logs in to this site or undead any other site who has the mobility or the eyesight to take pictures of boats to post them. Well done to the people who take the time to do this and cheer some of us up who without this site would loose contact with the industry.

Keep up the good work. This is probably the best site on the web
Thank you.
Robert Ritchie:)

Davie Tait
6th November 2009, 20:36
dear david,
cant get onto the trawlers site can you help sort this out, as regards photos that i myself have taken in what way can i put on website for all users to look at i dont mind if any 1 want to take copy of them that up to them. hope you can sort out my problen.
best regards.
david. adair.
ex herringringerman.
safely home in harbour..

Hello David. The gallery was offline for a few hours so we could update the software that keeps the site running.

The post of mine you quoted was an old old post from the time the site was originally set up and we decided a few months later to remove that setting to allow anyone to download any photo they wanted to their own pc's for their own use.

Any photos you upload need to be scanned so they are no bigger than 1500 x 1200 ( if its on a flat bed scanner and the photo is a standard 6x4 set the DPi to 250 max but anything around 180-250 is ok ) and save the photo as a jpg or jpeg file and it will upload to the site.

Robert I agree that we are very lucky to have members who do post a lot of brilliant photos. My own ones are boats in harbour as thats all I'm able to take ( and even now with the state of my health I'll keep on trying to get more ).

Davie