PDA

View Full Version : MFV Girona Killybegs 65 foot

h1bennett
7th May 2010, 16:50
Hi there,

Does anyone have a set of blueprints, know the builder of, or otherwise know anything of the history of MFV Girona 65 ft sidewinder operating out of Killybegs- built 1976, shelter deck added 1979, decommissioned and sold 2004ish.

Best wishes

Harry Bennett

restlesswave
7th May 2010, 20:11
built by bord iascaigh mhara (irish sea fisheries board) in the killybegs yard for noble morrow,killybegs who was tragically killed aboard her due to an engine room explosion. the irish 65`were all built to a standardised plan-but every yard put their own thoughts into them and produced a lot of fine looking boats.

oystercatcher
8th May 2010, 14:32
Currently for sale and having a paint up in Mylor Harbour, Cornwall

h1bennett
8th May 2010, 15:57
Great information - many thanks. What kind of reputation did Girona have, or indeed any of the Irish 65foot boats.

Best wishes

Harry Bennett:)

OffScotland
8th May 2010, 19:05
John Murrin who is (was?) at BIM Killybegs might be able to help with a set of the basic plans.

h1bennett
8th May 2010, 21:20
Thanks for the tip - Do I contact him through Mooney Boats?

Best wishes

Harry Bennett

restlesswave
9th May 2010, 17:53
a reputation as sea boats second to none. they were basically a scaled up version of the irish 50 footer. who were themselves exceptional sea boats-so the thought was don`t fix what isn`t broken-so instead of getting new designs they scaled up what was tried and tested.

Donegal Bay.
9th May 2010, 22:14
If you search Youtube you will find some videos of the Girona.

OffScotland
10th May 2010, 12:50
Not Moodies, he worked for Bord Iascaigh Mhara in Killybegs. Try the 'Contact Us' link on http://www.bim.ie/templates/homepage.asp

h1bennett
12th May 2010, 08:02
Thank you to everyone for your post - much appreciated.

Best wishes

Harry Bennett

mark robinson
28th May 2010, 21:28
Im looking to buy this boat, she's advertised just about everywhere, but no contact details, If Mr H. Bennet is the current owner and wishes to sell could you please contact me.
Thanks.

brendanlez
16th June 2010, 11:44
Im looking to buy this boat, she's advertised just about everywhere, but no contact details, If Mr H. Bennet is the current owner and wishes to sell could you please contact me.
Thanks.

Taken from: http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=107334

Price:
GBP 35,000 | EUR 41,006.51 Approximate Euro Equivalent

Advertiser: DAVID GREENAWAY International Marine Broker
Reference: Girona
Telephone: 020 3287 2977

Hope this helps for you

h1bennett
24th June 2010, 21:18
Hi there, I am not the Girona's owner but I know her quite well. She purchased the boat a couple of months ago. The boat is now undergoing major refit in Cornwall. This will involve turning her into a houseboat (installing windows in the shelter deck), new systems etc etc. She will remain a sea going boat and as many as possible of her original features will be preserved in tribute to those who sailed on her, the port she hails from and the generation of boats that she represents. Roving Commissions www.rovcom.co.uk are carrying out the work. The boat is not for sale at this moment, but the owner is anxious to learn as much as possible about the history of the boat and the crews who served her.

Best wishes

Harry Bennett