PDA

View Full Version : Photo Competition

seahorse54
6th November 2007, 22:56
Anyone else think there should be two categories in photo competition. Photos taken at sea, and ones taken onshore. I think it would be fairer for those no longer at sea, and having to depend on photos taken only onshore.

Seahorse54

GY2007
7th November 2007, 21:46
Seahorse,
It shouldn't make any difference where a picture is taken, in fact it should be easier onshore with a solid base and no water.
Just because a pic. is spectacular it doesn't mean it is technically good,as is seen with the winners.
If you really want a prize you should take a photo of a red boat with 177 for its number, because 2 of the winners are red and have the same number, some coincidence eh!!!
George

Davie Tait
7th November 2007, 21:52
Now now George lol , No it really doesn't matter about a photo being taken from the shore or at sea its the photo that matters. Some of the best photos i've seen over the years have been taken from the pierhead or along the coast of boats steaming close in in poor weather.

seahorse54
8th November 2007, 13:22
Seahorse,
It shouldn't make any difference where a picture is taken, in fact it should be easier onshore with a solid base and no water.
Just because a pic. is spectacular it doesn't mean it is technically good,as is seen with the winners.
If you really want a prize you should take a photo of a red boat with 177 for its number, because 2 of the winners are red and have the same number, some coincidence eh!!!
George

Hi gy2007,
We all have our own opinions regarding where a picture is taken, and i respect your one, but you are missing my point. I am sure you will agree when i say if you are at sea, you will have access to a wider range of spectacular shots,ie, bad weather scenes, boats steaming, etc. I still feel there should be two categories to make it fairer on everyone. We are not talking " technically good" here, it is all about advantages & disadvantages for all members.
Seahorse54

wod1
8th November 2007, 18:40
I would suggest that for a wee bit of fun on a website photo competition there is not the need to split categories. I would accept that there are different opportunities by being afloat rather than ashore. However as Davie suggests people on the shore are not at a disadvantage. Ones taken afloat are often taken by people who are trying to do a job and although the view/shot may offer a great picture it is not always easy to grab a camera when working. In many shots it is not always obvious whether it was taken from the ship or shore.

GY2007
8th November 2007, 22:55
Aye Wod,

I'd agree with that, in fact 2 of my entries were for fun, but I would point out to you that Davie hasn'a announced what the prizes are yet.
If perchance the first prize was a cruise on the QE2, then we would have to get SERIOUS HA HA.
George

Davie Tait
8th November 2007, 23:06
The monthly prize winners will get a Trawlerphotos T-Shirt and the overall winner after 6 months will have their photo painted by Rob Andrew , second prize overall is the book "Purse Seiners" and we are still finding a third prize.

Rob is a very very good artist so the overall first prize is really worth having.

Davie :cool:

skjold
9th November 2007, 01:00
http://www.robandrew.co.uk/ :)

Barend from Harlingen
25th November 2007, 19:27
Great idea this photo competitition!

Edit.

Deep Blue
4th December 2007, 17:28
Hello,do i have to do anything specific to enter the photo competion or are all the photos submitted to the various gallerys considered,cheers martin.

Davie Tait
4th December 2007, 17:54
You can post directly into the competition gallery , when selecting where to upload to make sure thats set to the current month ( December just now ) and we check through all of the photo's in the monthly gallery to choose a winner.

Deep Blue
4th December 2007, 18:10
Ah,cheers for that Davie i didn't spot the competition gallery.Excellent site,i will be taking my camera to work from now on.

brixham-trawler-race
12th April 2008, 06:26
Good question Deep Blue, I was wondering that ....... but I would only enter if it's for fun. Life is serious enough already !!

Bob Murphy
2nd May 2008, 20:22
What's happened to the Photo Competition?

Davie Tait
2nd May 2008, 20:48
It was only set to run for 6 months initially , I will be discussing with the sites owners to see if we can arrange another competition to run October to April again but i'm not sure if this will happen or not.

We're still discussing the final winners from this one !!! announcement should be next week though

Davie

Bob Murphy
2nd May 2008, 22:53
I'll get some practise in over the summer! :)

Davie Tait
9th May 2008, 12:28
OK thats the final placings sorted out and posted in the gallery.

The photo competition will continue with new prizes , we will produce a calender from the winning entries and are looking at a Trawlerphotos shop for T-shirts mugs etc. The overall winner will receive a new digital camera.

I will need to go in and move photos out of the original galleries and add in new ones for the year.

Davie

quiet waters
12th May 2008, 12:15
great idea, you can't get a decent mug anywhere, except in relation to your announcement elsewhere, in this day and age how hard is it for anyone to take pics of their own boat when selling?