PDA

View Full Version : "Pere Charles" and "Maggie B"

LiamS
3rd November 2007, 20:25
Starting to raise the "Pere Charles" and "Maggie B" off the south Irish coast tommorrow.Dutch barge should be in place in the morning. News reports say that they are to be brought to Arklow.I think its a marine accident investigation into their tragic loss.Please God there will be bodies aboard for the families sake although naval divers have already searched to no avail.Lets pray that there is some comfort for relatives.

Davie Tait
3rd November 2007, 20:36
I hope they manage to raise both boats and find out what happened and like you Liam I hope that the lost men are still aboard so their families can have closure.

LiamS
5th November 2007, 17:03
"Maggie B" now raised and afloat off Dunmore searches not finding any crew as of yet.Few personal items recovered and returned to families.May be towed to Arklow tomorrow.Salvage of "Pere Charles" to begin in morning.

LiamS
6th November 2007, 20:36
"Maggie B" now afloat and anchored off Dunmore, a ghostly sight.Looks a fine trawler though.She went down 18 months ago shortly after leaving port following a refit.Two men lost and one survivor.

justindel
8th November 2007, 20:40
Threre are 2 extracts from this book by Damien Tiernan which accounts the tragedies of the Pere Charles and Honeydew. You can download the extracts on http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1107/lostatsea.html. Details moments just before vessels were lost. Very moving account and worth a read.

wod1
8th November 2007, 22:22
Very moving, I`ve order the book off amazon after reading the extract.

Irish Mariner
9th November 2007, 18:50
bought the book this week and read it,its a must for anyone involved in the industry,but it is heartbreaking and again our thoughts and prayers are with the families. The book is available in any easons store

LiamS
10th November 2007, 18:42
"Pere Charles" now in Arklow.Sitting up on North quay being searched today.Lots of damage above the waterline,wheelhouse etc. a very humbling sight amidst a fishing community all too aware of loss at sea.Tug has returned to Dunmore to bring "Maggie B " to Arklow tomorrow weather permitting.

LiamS
12th November 2007, 20:57
"Irish Times" today claiming the "Maggie B" is formerly "Gilsea" of British registration. Anyone know her?
She is apparently a 17 Year old Dutch build.Capsized in 1993 off British coast.

skjold
13th November 2007, 00:31
http://www.shipdata.nl/index.php?mode=shipthumb&Schip=6146