PDA

View Full Version : BF300 "Mint"

scott
20th October 2007, 15:07
Hello, I'm looking for information or even an old photo of the following fishing vessel.

BF300 "Mint"

My Great Uncle (Tommy Smith) and grandfather (Bill Scott) worked the boat out of Portsoy, well they were from Portsoy but not sure the boat worked out of Portsoy. I'm not sure of the dates, I certainly don't remember it. I guess I'm looking at the 1950 - 1970 period. Just a guess. All I have is a poor painting of the vessel. (green)

Not sure of what type of boat it was, the size, or what it fished for.

Any information welcomed

Davie Tait
20th October 2007, 19:42
There is a single old photo of the Mint BF300 lying in Burghead in the gallery HERE (http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4144/si/mint) but i'm sure someone will abe able to help with further information

scott
20th October 2007, 21:29
thanks Davie, That's her!!

GY2007
20th October 2007, 21:51
Scott,
on Ships Nostalgia go to Gallery Search and put in "MINT" and you will see her present condition which is not very good, she is lying on the island of Mull derelict, sorry its not better news for you.
George

scott
20th October 2007, 22:05
Thanks George,

Just been to Ships Nostalga (.com) and searched for mint in the gallery. Can't find her. :confused:

Davie Tait
20th October 2007, 22:16
Scott you have to join that site then go to the fishing forum and you'll find my guide to opt-in to the Fishing vessel gallery then you'll be able to see the photos

scott
20th October 2007, 22:48
Thanks for the explanation Davie, and thanks for the initial link George.

Blimey, as you say George, she has seen better days!! I am assuming, based on the painting of her I have in the house, she is the boat on the left?

Correct?

Thanks for the help so far guys

Scott

GY2007
20th October 2007, 22:54
Scott,
Dont know if this will be any use to you but there were 2 other boats slightly smaller than the Mint (I think) both owned in Portsoy by brothers called Smith, might be a relation, they were Brilliant BF208? owned by Weelum Edward Smith and I think she was scrapped in Orkney, and Boyne Vale BF 266 owned by Jaikey Smith and his 2 sons, she is still fishing in Cumbria and can be seen on this site although changed a bit from her Portsoy days.
Cheers
George

scott
20th October 2007, 22:59
Doesn't ring any bells. Never heard of those boats or names. I'll ask my mother tomorrow though.

GY2007
20th October 2007, 23:01
Scott,
Think the Mint is on the right, Pavonia was a bigger boat and if you look at the posts below the picture, one speaks about the goalposts on the Mint,that is the type of derricks on the boat on the right.
George

scott
20th October 2007, 23:11
The two boats look so bad now it's hard to tell.

The wheelhouse on the right looks like painting I have and is similar to the Burghead photo.

My painting pre-dates those types of derriks above the wheelhouse. The painting is similar to the Burghead photo, excuse lack of technical terms, but the painting shows the mast lying in the horizontal position from wheel house to front of boat as well as the rear mast on the diagonal.

However my painting shows a single vertical mast just in front of the wheelhouse whereas the burghead photo shows what looks like a tripod sort of contraption! What is this? why so many verticals?

ally
21st October 2007, 09:42
Hello Scott, the tripod mast, etc, was put on when she got sold to Wick and changed to a creel boat. A relation of mine worked aboard the Mint for a number of years, his name was Kenny Cowie from Buckie, maybe ring a bell ??