PDA

View Full Version : McCann Brothers Boat Builders

Milk Harbour
19th October 2009, 23:26
Hello all,

An odd request, A couple of people who have sailed to Scotland over the years have told me of a pub on one of the islands, possibly Islay, that has a photo hanging in it of "McCann Brothers Boat Builders, Moneygold"....

I've tried a few times to get some information about where exactly this is, I am one of the McCann's, and would love to be able to give the exact details to the last remaining of the McCann boat builders.

Any information greatly appreciated!

restlesswave
21st October 2009, 19:43
send a pm to `cynosure`he`s one of the boys from islay-he might be fit to point you in the right direction.

Milk Harbour
23rd October 2009, 08:52
send a pm to `cynosure`he`s one of the boys from islay-he might be fit to point you in the right direction.

Cheers Restlesswave.... I'll get on to him over the weekend.

OffScotland
13th January 2010, 12:25
No idea where it is but from my Dublin records (1937 No:39) I find PRIDE OF SLIGO built at Moneygold, Co. Sligo. 31ft x 9ft 6 tons. Broken up in 1974.

OffScotland
16th January 2010, 10:38
Browsing the Lloyds Yacht Register for 1970 found a 27ft yacht SHADOW V, built by J Mcann, Moneygold, owner Earl Mountbatten. Is this the one that was blown-up?

restlesswave
16th January 2010, 17:47
if my memory serves me right the boat lord mountbatten was killed in was built by rodney lomax in mullaghmore-but may be wrong (as usual!)

Donegal Bay.
18th January 2010, 18:55
You might not be correct on this occasion, RW. Shadow was Lord Mountbattens boat, but I think it was built By McCanns at Milk Harbour Moneygold, a TV documentary screened around the 30th anniversary of the bombing may have given a different impression. Rodney Lomax maintained the boat for Lord Mountbatten. As usual I stand to be corrected.

restlesswave
19th January 2010, 18:41
- i knew rodney lomax was involved some how!-thanks for info db!

Milk Harbour
20th February 2010, 18:14
Yep Shadow v was Lord Mountbatten's boat, and was built in Moneygold by the McCann's... I'll get some pictorial exidence over the next few days for anyone that might be interested.... John McCann is my Godfather, and is still living in Moneygold at the ripe old age of 77... himself and his Brother Tom (RIP) are the last boat builders in a long line.

Anyone else know the whereabouts of any of their craft?

Ronan (McCann)....

Milk Harbour
20th February 2010, 18:43
btw...

Still looking for info on my original post, If anyone can help!....

:)

jasonocall
15th January 2016, 10:50
Hi if you require any information still about the mccann boat builders I may be able to help, also there is 2 mccann boats for sale here in Ireland on a website called donedeal.ie.