PDA

View Full Version : Staithes cobles

neil suckling
30th April 2009, 15:28
Hi everyone, i am looking for info on the whereabouts of the following ex Staithes cobles. "Ocean Queen", "Star of Hope", "Endurance","Embrace" & "Coronation Queen". I know "Alliance" has been destroyed..but would love to know if any of these others survived.
Cheers guys
Neil

DOGSBODY
30th April 2009, 22:17
Hi Neil,
The Endurance Wy89 Is Now In Sunderland, I Think The Star Of Hope Went To The Tees A Few Years Back, Possibly Paddys Hole ?.

Cheers, Paul.

tonyash
25th May 2009, 03:40
Neil,

Coronation Queen went to Whitby after she was replaced with Ocean Queen in the early 1970s. There she was fitted with a small wheelhouse aft of the half deck, like some of the larger Whitby boats. Last time I actually saw her was in 1989 in Whitby Harbour just before I moved to Australia. I looked for her there again on a holiday in 1999 but could not find her.

I would be interested in finding out if either Coronation Queen WY75 and Ocean Queen WY35 still exist as both boats were built for Bill Harrison my great uncle and I have many happy memories of childhood fishing trips, particularly aboard Coronation Queen and remember going with Bill to see Ocean Queen as she was being built, I think, at Sandsend.

Tony

stewart126
2nd June 2009, 12:04
WY 35 Ocean Queen
Bt. 1971 T. Goodall, Sandsend.
Poss. R/n WY 35 Patricia A Bt. Whitby 1971 ??

WY 75 Coronation Queen
Stopped fishing 1995/6 Laid up for a while then sold to be restored ??
Bt. 1953 Harrisons, Amble.

stewart126
2nd June 2009, 12:21
Hi Neil

WY 35 Patricia A
O/n A24056
Bt. 1971 T. Goodall, Sandsend, Whitby.
8.69mt. x 2.74mt. x 1.01mt. 3.89t
Perkings 4203 78hp. 57.3kw.

X WY 35 Ocean Queen

tonyash
3rd June 2009, 01:06
Thanks so much Stewart,
I had done a web search on both Coronation and Ocean Queen and found a Patricia A WY35 on the 2005 DEFRA list in Hartlepool. The number is A24056 so it would seem from your information this is a renamed Ocean Queen and not another boat. She does not appear to be on the latest lists however.

I remember Ocean Queen being much broader than her predecessor without any decking and also being fitted with an echosounder which was a real novelty for us kids. Must admit I thought she was built just slightly later than 1971 but memory can be fickle although I clearly remember those trips to see her being built.

Coronation Queen was definitely built in 1953, hence her name. I have quite a few photos of this boat along with a wooden model of her and an older masted Guide Me. Would be great to find out if she was restored.

Thanks,
Tony

amblecoble
1st July 2009, 10:23
Embrace is at Paddys hole painted red with no name and is up for sale for not very much.
Star of Hope is for sale on the Tyne.

tonyash
31st July 2009, 03:05
How much does an old coble go for these days?. Looking at the photos on this site poor old Embrace is in a bit of a sorry state, she was George Harrisonís boat in Staithes, Star of Hope looks to be in better nick as does Endurance although both now have wheelhouses, practical I suppose. The location appears to be known of all the cobles Neil mentioned at the start of this thread bar Coronation Queen and Ocean Queen/Patricia A. Both these boats are listed as retired on the Fleet Registry, 1995 for Coronation Queen and 2006 for Patricia A, but not as destroyed, at the time of decommissioning anyway. I would be very grateful if anyone has any further information on these two boats whereabouts or fate.
Thanks,
Tony

socal
6th August 2009, 06:33
I bought the Star of Hope about a month back, she is currently lying at Seaton Sluice Harbour whilst I undertake repairs to the wheelhouse, otherwise she's in good condition, the plate in the wheelhouse says she was built by Harrison's in 1967 but I've found a photo on this site suggesting she was around in 1965 in Staithes, I'm assuming the photo caption is wrong by a couple of years. The wheelhouse was fitted in 1997 but hasn't faired as well as the rest of the boat From memory I think the owner at the time of building was someone called Dodds

tonyash
12th August 2009, 01:53
Socal,
Great to hear that Star of Hope is around and still in good condition. I must admit I had always thought the Star of Hope was built for one of the Verrill family in 1964/5 just after they sold the Golden Crown and named for an earlier Star of Hope that was destroyed in the storm of 1953. I believe that older Star of Hope was also one of the last boats to be actually built at Staithes. The build plate you have would appear to contradict parts of this but unfortunately I only have my memory of what I saw or was told at the time which, let’s face it, was quite a while ago now!. There are sure to be people out there who would know more than me.
Good luck with the repairs.
Tony

socal
17th August 2009, 07:28
Thanks Tony, always good to be able to trace a little of the history of the boat, I'll post some pictures in due course, once the wheelhouse is looking better, I've since checked the plate and it definitely identifies the owner as an N Dobbs, I've tried to track the name down but no success do far.

Best

Steve

H371
1st September 2009, 14:26
Star of Hope was built for matt Verrill of staithes in mid 60's, before that they were using June and Eileen WY200 which came to Flamborough when Star of Hope was delivered.

Argy Verrill
29th October 2009, 15:09
To all the lads who have replied to my post,i want to say a big thanks,ive had problems logging in on this site,and the information given has been a great help.I plan to go "up north " next week,and try and track down any old Staithes cobles.I have a few photos of "Embrace" looking in a sorry state,and im very interested in buying her from the owner at "Paddys hole" ...does anyone know the owner? Please keep the posts coming on anything to do with old Staithes cobles,and one day hope to see a few back in Staithes,instead of those ugly grp efforts! Cheers again,Argy V.

f4tct
21st August 2011, 13:30
In regards to WY 75 Coronation Queen, I can confirm that she was broken up a year or two ago. She belonged to my girlfriends dad Bob Green who sadly passed away two years ago. The coble was on a trailer in Bob's back yard and in a terrible state. So much infact it was too far gone. I was tempted to attempt to rescue it but it literally would mean building a new boat from the plank templates etc.

Dan

tonyash
28th September 2011, 02:27
Thanks for the update Dan.

I had really hoped Coronation Queen might have survived as, along with everyone at the time, she was an important part of my childhood but the memories will linger on.

Cheers,
Tony

f4tct
28th September 2011, 13:52
Thanks for the update Dan.

I had really hoped Coronation Queen might have survived as, along with everyone at the time, she was an important part of my childhood but the memories will linger on.

Cheers,
Tony

It is sad. Another point aswell, Bob had actually built a cab for her and looked pretty smart on some of the photos I have seen.

tonyash
29th September 2011, 12:17
Hi Dan,
Yes it is very sad to see another Coble go, I grew up with that boat and loved the whole history of her, the way she and Golden Crown WY 78 were named because they were both built for Staithes in 1953, but what was most important about Coronation Queen was really the people, Staithes and growing up, I have so many great memories and photos aboard that boat with Bill, Dickie and Willie. I am bringing my two boys back to the UK next year and taking them to Staithes and Whitby is a very important part of the trip, they only really know growing up in the city lifestyle of Melbourne. Part of me had hoped that Coronation Queen would turn up somewhere before we came back but if the old WY35 Patricia A/Ocean Queen is still there sitting on the wharf in Hartlepool we must go and see her instead.
Thanks again for letting us know.

coble
1st November 2011, 06:49
do you know john cole

tonyash
1st December 2011, 10:15
Not personally no. I spent most of my childhood in Staithes but we moved away and I now live in Australia.

socal
26th July 2012, 14:25
Socal,
Great to hear that Star of Hope is around and still in good condition. I must admit I had always thought the Star of Hope was built for one of the Verrill family in 1964/5 just after they sold the Golden Crown and named for an earlier Star of Hope that was destroyed in the storm of 1953. I believe that older Star of Hope was also one of the last boats to be actually built at Staithes. The build plate you have would appear to contradict parts of this but unfortunately I only have my memory of what I saw or was told at the time which, letís face it, was quite a while ago now!. There are sure to be people out there who would know more than me.
Good luck with the repairs.
Tony

Hi All,

Just thought I'd bring you up to date with the Star of Hope. After failing miserably to get to grips with the restoration, it was taken over by Seaton Sluice sculptor and boat builder Tom Newstead who has lovingly restored her to a cabinless open coble. Great job, she's looking really good now and ready for the North Sea again, I think Tom intends to sell her, to an enthusiast who hopefully will both use and cherish her.571