View Full Version : G20 video 'concerns' police chief

Davie Tait
8th April 2009, 15:14

Footage of an officer shoving a man to the ground at a G20 protest minutes before he died raises concerns, London's police chief has said.

Ian Tomlinson, 47, who was walking home from work, suffered a heart attack several minutes after walking away from being pushed in central London.

His stepson Paul King has told the BBC the family "want answers".

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson said the force fully supported an inquiry into the death.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is carrying out the inquiry, will examine the video footage showing Mr Tomlinson being pushed to the ground.

See a map of the scene

Sir Paul said: "The images that have now been released raise obvious concerns and it is absolutely right and proper that there is a full investigation into this matter, which the Met will fully support."

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said the inquiry needed to be completed as soon as possible.

There was no reason for the officer to push him down
Paul King

The video, shot at 1929 BST at the Royal Exchange Passage on 1 April, initially shows Mr Tomlinson, who was going home from work and not protesting, walking away from a group of police officers.

Footage shows that he then received a two-handed push from an officer, landing heavily before remonstrating with the police.

Minutes later Mr Tomlinson collapsed and died of a heart attack, after walking to nearby Cornhill where he received first aid from police.

Mr King told BBC Radio 5 Live: "For the sake of the family here and his kids we just want justice ... you know, until everything does come out and we do get the evidence we need, we can't lay our father to rest."

Reacting to the video, he said: "You can clearly see that my dad, Ian, had his hands in his pockets with his head down walking away.

"So there was no reason for the officer to push him down. If he did do something wrong, then why not arrest him in the beginning?

"We want answers now. You know, it's only minutes after [that] Ian collapsed and had the heart attack."

A New York fund manager recorded the footage, believed to be the last showing Mr Tomlinson alive.

He said he came forward with the video because the vendor's family "were not getting any answers".

The Liberal Democrats are now demanding a criminal inquiry.

The party's justice spokesman, David Howarth, said the footage showed a "sickening and unprovoked attack" by police.

Daniel Sandford, BBC home affairs correspondent, said of the footage: "This is now going to raise some more serious questions about the police behaviour on that night.

"Why is it that one of the officers walks up to a man who appears to be walking away from him?"

Sometimes it isn't clear, as a police officer, who is a protester and who is not
Peter Smyth of the Met Police Federation

Peter Smyth, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said some physical confrontation was inevitable during a large protest.

He told Radio 4's Today programme: "On a day like that, where there are some protesters who are quite clearly hell-bent on causing as much trouble as they can, there is inevitably going to be some physical confrontation.

"Sometimes it isn't clear, as a police officer, who is a protester and who is not.

"I know it's a generalisation but anybody in that part of the town at that time, the assumption would be that they are part of the protest.

"I accept that's perhaps not a clever assumption but it's a natural one."

'Quickly and thoroughly'

The Guardian newspaper obtained the video and has handed it to the IPCC.

Ms Smith said: "I'm glad the IPCC themselves called for further evidence in order to be able to do that investigation as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

"And if it identifies - and I can understand people's concerns - if it identifies the need for a criminal investigation, that then also needs to be pursued."

A spokeswoman for the IPCC said: "We have recovered video footage from a national newspaper last night. We are now in the process of analysing it, along with the other evidence we have obtained on the case."

The police have well-established powers to use reasonable force if they think there is a threat either to themselves or the public, but these are enhanced during a protest or riot.

* The key concept is that of "reasonable force" - i.e. force that is in proportion to the threat faced either by the public, the police or property
* Thus "reasonable force" may literally range from putting a hand on someone's elbow, to shooting them dead
* The legislation governing police powers during demonstrations (mostly the Public Order Act 1986) must also be seen in context of human rights' legislation
* Under European human rights' laws the police are required to actively protect the public's right to peaceful protest
* Policing during a protest, therefore, is a negotiation between the rights of police to use reasonable force to protect the public, and their responsibility to allow peaceful protest to take place

Watching the Video in the link it just goes to show that you cannot believe the initial story the Police put out about not having had any contact with this man. The Met Police have always had a bully-boy element in their ranks but this surely must mark a new low point for them. The copper involved should be arrested and charged with manslaughter , well if one of us had done that we would be charged so there should be no difference between the police and us !!

8th April 2009, 19:53
"The copper involved should be arrested and charged with manslaughter , well if one of us had done that we would be"

we could all dream of utopia and an honest and just world, Dave..........but you only have to look at the whitewash behind the Brazillian Menenes Subway murder by the Met to see that there is one rule for us, and no bloody rule for the met police, or any other police force in the uk for that matter.
i made a complaint against the greater Manchester plod to the IPCC about the mishandling of a purjury complaint i made against someone in court,
the IPCC upheld my complaint, and ordered GMP to apologise,.
they [GMP] told me basically to get stuffed.....some justice.

Davie Tait
8th April 2009, 20:07
Aye but with the new video and witness evidence it does look like it'll be possible to get this oaf prosecuted for at least ABH/Assault. He has finally come forward and identified himself to the IPCC. He hasn't been suspended yet which I find disgusting.

Another story shows how corrupt one senior copper is

Jail for dumping 175,000 tyres

A former North Wales Police inspector has been jailed for a year for illegally dumping 175,000 used tyres.

Geraint Evans, 51, from Caernarfon, Gwynedd, his partner Marilyn Hanks, 37, and Norman Cassidy, 58, were all sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court.

Cassidy, of Clacton on Sea, Essex, was jailed for eight months. Hanks, a former civilian police employee, was ordered to do 240 hours community work.

They admitted illegally disposing tyres across four sites in England and Wales.

Judge Stephen Hopkins QC, referring to Geraint Evans and Norman Cassidy, said: "You are thoroughly unscrupulous men with no regard whatsoever for the financial consequences of those you exploit.

"You were deliberately dealing in waste without a licence for purely financial reason and it's had a substantial impact on the community."

The six-month investigation, one of Environment Agency Wales' largest, followed an anonymous tip-off.

The tyres were left at sites in Hirwaun, south Wales, Manchester and Colchester in Essex.

Cardiff Crown Court heard each defendant played various roles in setting up the tyre recycling plants before moving on and leaving others to clear up mountains of waste rubber.

Nine articulated lorry trailers were found abandoned in Cheshire and the north west of England in March and April 2006.

Each trailer contained approximately 12,000 used tyres.

The largest dump was at the Hirwaun Industrial estate near Aberdare, where 100,000 tyres are still being stored, until they are recycled or the owner pays to deal with them legally.

The court heard they did not have a waste management licence for any of the premises, did not pay rent and made about 115,000 over 18 months.

The court heard that Evans, a former police inspector at Caernarfon who retired in 2005, had been involved in the tyre industry since 1991, while still a serving police officer, with the force's permission.

After leaving the force he decided to make a career out of tyre recycling, but was made bankrupt.

Evans pleaded guilty to five counts of unauthorised depositing and keeping of controlled waste. Hanks admitted two counts of assisting or conniving in offences by a corporate body.

Cassidy pleased guilty to four counts of unauthorised depositing and keeping of controlled waste.

The judge said the defendants will serve half of the jail term that he has imposed, then be released on licence.

An anonymous tip-off alerting the Environment Agency that tyres collected from all over the UK were being dumped illegally, sparked the investigation.

We're very pleased with the judgement which is the passing of two prison sentences

Chris Mills, Environment Agency

Operation Ceinwen involved the agency worked closely with police forces in North Wales and Essex, the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs (VAT) as well as the Manchester and South Wales Fire services.

The court heard Evans, who has a baby daughter with Hanks, is training to be a lawyer.

Nicholas Mason, defending, appealed for him not to be jailed as he is currently in the middle of sitting law exams.

Mr Mason added: "He has already paid a significant price in relation to these matters and the associated benefit deception. He's lost his good character and his reputation."

Outside court, Environment Agency director for Wales Chris Mills said it was the first time this sort of case had resulted in a prison sentence.

"This was a really large scale criminal investigation, (the) dumping of something like 200,000 tyres.

"It resulted in significant financial loss both to legitimate waste operators and to the warehouse owners and it posed a significant fire threat to the community and indeed a threat to the environment.

"We're very pleased with the judgement which is the passing of two prison sentences. That sends out a really powerful message to people who think that they can cause waste crime."

The estimated income generated from the 175,000 dumped tyres would have been around 115,000.

The clear-up costs for the warehouse and site owners is thought to be well over 100,000.

Davie Tait
17th April 2009, 15:56

A new post mortem says Ian Tomlinson died from an abdominal haemorrhage not a heart attack after contact with police during the G20 protests.

The statement from the City of London Coroners Court overturns the initial assessment that the newspaper seller died of natural causes.

Mr Tomlinson was hit and pushed over by a police officer on 1 April.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating Mr Tomlinson's death.

The Coroner's statement said the second post-mortem's conclusions were provisional.

In its statement, the Coroner's Court said that the inquest had looked at the first post-mortem carried out after Mr Tomlinson collapsed and died on the evening of 1 April.

That examination, carried out by Dr Freddy Patel, concluded that Mr Tomlinson had diseased heart and liver and a substantial amount of blood in the abdominal cavity.

"His provisional interpretation of his findings was that the cause of death was coronary artery disease," said the statement.

"A subsequent post-mortem examination was conducted by another consultant forensic pathologist, Dr Nat Cary, instructed by the IPCC and by solicitors acting for the family of the late Mr Tomlinson.

"Dr Cary's opinion is that the cause of death was abdominal haemorrhage. The cause of the haemorrhage remains to be ascertained.

"Dr Cary accepts that there is evidence of coronary atherosclerosis but states that in his opinion its nature and extent is unlikely to have contributed to the cause of death."

The statement concluded that both the opinions remained provisional and subject to further investigations and tests.

Its been reported on BBC News24 that the officer that hit him has been interviewed under caution on suspicion of manslaughter.

If its proved that he is guilty then perhaps its time to make an example out of him , about time that the police themselves were treated more harshly than anyone else because they are the ones that have to uphold the law and if they break the law then they shouldn't expect a minimum sentence after all !!!