PDA

View Full Version : Zulu's Deck Colour

Bruce Buchanan
19th February 2009, 23:17
Hi,
Can any one tell me the true colour of a Zulu deck. I have seen model Zulu in museums with their deck painted red is this correct or would most of them be painted gray. I remember an old fisherman (old Hendry Anderson of St. Monans) saying to me at a model boat show, while he was looking at my model motor fifie with red decks. I don't remember them being red he remarked but I do remember as a lad melting the deck tar after I laid the hot frying pan down on the deck. Can you help?
Bruce B.

theolaird
19th February 2009, 23:25
Bare wood finished, seams caulked with oukum and stockholm tar.

Bruce Buchanan
19th February 2009, 23:32
Good! Thanks for your information.
Bruce B.

theolaird
19th February 2009, 23:39
The cheat my father used on models was draw the lines in thickened Indian ink. Applied with a plingy feather cut as a quill, and a straight edge if needed.

Bruce Buchanan
20th February 2009, 00:26
I'm about to restore model zulu. She is about 19 inches in length. deck is varnished ply wood. See photo in model boat section.
Bruce B

theolaird
20th February 2009, 01:08
I've seen the pics, looks ideal to mark the deck by this method. This method was also used on the pond A class and 6 metre yachts he also made. He hand a purpose made handtool he used to create the fine grooves first, then payed the ink mix with a syringe into the grooves. If you don't have a steady hand, just draw them. Was the model cut from a solid? I have a Fifie model of one of the family boats built by traditional methods, even down to the copper clenched hand made nails & roves, horseshoe under the forestool and a real gold lucky piece under the mast step. The mast also has a hole drilled lengthwise 2" down from the top and filled with linseed oil to preserve the timber from rotting. I must take a pic and post it, the side decks were done this way.

bill wood
20th February 2009, 16:36
Gents.
In my humble opinion if you are making a planked deck it really has to be individual planks. Drawing lines ,pencil or ink the grain of the wood still shows through.

I cheat. I use artists card (cartridge paper) ,score this lightly with a knife then stain it and then matt varnish.

There is no grain but at this scale it wouldnt be seen anyway.
On my Reaper models I have done this but painted them a light matt blue and they look OK

Regds
Bill

theolaird
20th February 2009, 20:27
For a fresh build, I agree individual planking is the way to go to create the effect. But this is a refurb of an existing model. The deck as seen in the pic is thin ply by the look of it. The suggestion of lining would be the best course without having to lift and renew the whole deck.

To sum up, "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder"

Bruce Buchanan
21st February 2009, 18:03
I've seen the pics, looks ideal to mark the deck by this method. This method was also used on the pond A class and 6 metre yachts he also made. He hand a purpose made handtool he used to create the fine grooves first, then payed the ink mix with a syringe into the grooves. If you don't have a steady hand, just draw them. Was the model cut from a solid? I have a Fifie model of one of the family boats built by traditional methods, even down to the copper clenched hand made nails & roves, horseshoe under the forestool and a real gold lucky piece under the mast step. The mast also has a hole drilled lengthwise 2" down from the top and filled with linseed oil to preserve the timber from rotting. I must take a pic and post it, the side decks were done this way.

You are right model is cut from solid with ply deck.
Bruce B.