PDA

View Full Version : Bonnie Lass built Weatherhead, Cockenzie 1949.

grahamtowa
9th June 2007, 13:58
Am currently researching the above yard, and am looking for a pic of Bonnie Lass LH38, beleived to be the last fishing boat built there before Weatherheads sold the yard to Samuel White in 1953. Can anyone help?

jonah
21st July 2007, 21:53
hi graham, im no sure if you mean the bonnie lass thats in my photos both with the greasy pole out on lifeboat day at dunbar . if it is she was called christina, before she came to dunbar from port seton? william brunton from dunbar owned her a few years he changed name to bonnie lass. then my uncle ronnie marr bought her mid 60s we worked prawns and creels as required.he sold her to his brother peter marr who sold her end of 60s appx where to not a clue but could find out. jonah

grahamtowa
22nd July 2007, 19:21
Think we're on about different boats, Jonah. Bonnie Lass that i was looking for was Cockenzie built, 1949 for Andrew Caird of Musselburgh, LH38. later B69, CN115, DK14. Now in La Rochelle at a maritme museum.
Am still desperate to trace a pic of the boat as LH38.

OffScotland
24th July 2007, 12:23
Just for the records, Cockenzie built as noted in the Dublin Registers. Not sure when Weatherhead had the yard.
1907 ISA WILSON 60ft
1927 RISTANGO 43ft - To Fraserburgh in 1954
1947 LOTHIAN QUEEN 49ft - To Mallaig in 1962
1948 RAINGOOSE 61ft - To Buckie in 1964
1949 MAID OF MORVEN 53ft - To London in 1961

grahamtowa
24th July 2007, 16:40
Thanks for that. 1880 to 1953 were the W'head C'enzie years. Maid of Morven was built at their Eyemouth yard. Do you have the Raingoose original reg.? only one i have is BCK222...cheers.

OffScotland
25th July 2007, 08:19
Unfortunately the Dublin Fishing Registers don't give former regs, all I can say is that she was D20 at Dublin. I will she what I can find out from another contact.

OffScotland
25th July 2007, 15:57
Re: Raingoose from a contact..

All I know about the Raingoose is that in the 1950s she was owned by M&P Hanlons, Fish Merchants, Dublin. She fished out of Bantry for several years at that time - a beautiful boat, lovely lines, varnished hull. I mentioned her in Sea Caress but no photo. She was skippered by Peter Downey, Bantry, Co Cork who is still alive - must be well into his 80s. He may have something on her.

OffScotland
8th August 2007, 08:25
Just added a photograph of HMS Egeria (built by Weatherhead at Cockenzie in 1959) in the non-fishing gallery. She is currently (August 2007) lying alongside a jetty at Fareham near Portsmouth.

grahamtowa
11th August 2007, 08:20
Thanks, Offscotland. Have a pic of that one as built, but not a recent one.
This was after the Weatherhead family had sold the yard to J. Samuel White, who traded as William Weatherhead and Sons (1954) Ltd. Egeria was launched Sept, 58, as an Echo class survey vessel, 106', twin Paxman engined.Cheers!

bill wood
11th August 2007, 10:22
Maybe not the same boat but Raingoose (painted red) lay in Gourdon for ages before falling to bits - this was probably about 15 yrs ago
Bill

grahamtowa
11th August 2007, 19:20
yes, Bill. I remember that one but cannot say for certain if it was the C'enzie built one or not. By coincidence, I am just back from Gourdon yesterday.

fastcat
13th August 2007, 22:57
Yeah , the Raingoose lay in Gourdon for years when I was young ( was dark green then ) ended up a total wreck , had to be broken up in the harbour. Sure there must be plenty pics of it lay here.

bill wood
15th August 2007, 12:36
I have posted a photo, on the Vintage section, of Raingoose fishing for sprats in 1967/8

If required I should have a vbetter photo on a slide

Regds
Bill

grahamtowa
15th August 2007, 17:46
cheers, Bill!

johntar tt10
29th March 2008, 00:07
Bonnie Lass CN115 was bought by Ronnie Brownie of Carradale from Portavogie in the late 60's after he sold Minerva to Willie Sutherland of FR who had sold Ebenezer to Tarbert about same time, Ronnie called all his boats Bonnie Lass afterwards and is retired a few years now

quiet waters
29th March 2008, 01:44
does the bonnie lass currently fishing out of CN come into the equation anywhere? i've posted pics

grahamtowa
29th March 2008, 21:36
Think that's probably Ronnie Brownie's 3rd Bonnie Lass at a guess. Have not checked your pics yet, but think it'll be the one built by Gerrards as Strathgarry sy88.

grahamtowa
29th March 2008, 21:49
Just been searching the gallery pics.
Have found a couple of pics of CN126 (posted by Jimmyt and Harbour cat). That's the Bonnie Lass III that I refer to above.
Also found a Belfast reg Bonnie Lass with Dunan Star(posted by quiet waters). Dunno anything about that one, sorry.

milnewill10
14th July 2008, 09:45
Grahamtowa

There has been a book published very recently, which covers the history of my grandfather's boat buliding in the Cockenzie yard. Unfortunately I can't remember the name.

It was compiled inconjunction with my uncle Alec Weatherhead, so I would suggest that you search Amazon using William or Alec Weatherhead and see what you get.

If this fails get in touch and I will find out what it is called.

Willie:)

grahamtowa
14th July 2008, 21:51
Cheers, Willie. The book is called Boatie Blest and was launched at the recent Three Harbours Festival. I wrote the chapter on boatbuilding for it, but it also contains a lot more interesting stuff! There's loads on model boats built by Cockenzie men, with plenty colour pics, and chapters on Cockenzie and Port Seton harbours. If you're thinking of buying, best person is the Festival organiser, Yvonne Murphy, 1 Gosford Road, Port Seton, East Lothian,EH32 OHE. Book costs a tenner, but you would have to contact Yvonne re p+p costs, cos I've no idea what that is. Thanks, Graham.