PDA

View Full Version : Plans For Sidewinder

Phil Webster
23rd November 2008, 13:26
I am trying 2 get hold of a set of plans for the 'Grimsby Town' GY246, built by Cochrans of Selby in 1953 but ain't having much joy. I am led to believe the 'Hull City' was from the same drawings so either would do fine. Does anyone have a set i could have a copy of,all expence paid of course or any ideas where to try next? Chers, Phil

nhp651
24th November 2008, 12:42
Have you tried the Hull Town Docks museum, in Hull. they carry many of both CWG and Cochranes plans.:)

Watcher
25th November 2008, 21:48
Phil Webster wrote:

I am trying 2 get hold of a set of plans for the 'Grimsby Town' GY246, built by Cochrans of Selby in 1953 but ain't having much joy. I am led to believe the 'Hull City' was from the same drawings so either would do fine. Does anyone have a set I could have a copy of,

With regard to plans in the Hull Docks Museum, my recollection from about 20 years ago, is that their sets of drawings, did not include body plans, just General Arrangements ...ie. deckplans and profiles. Mind you if you had some sort of generic hull plan available, you should be able to develop a pretty reasonable get a pretty good idea of the possible to develop a fairly accurate hull shape for the model. The Hull City had exactly the same dimensions. Lloyds Register gives the length as 181', while Paul King and Steve Pulfrey's *Grimsby Trawlers* says it was 178'. Big anyhow. These vessels were oil fired, with triple expansion steam engines. If as I imagine, they had single Scotch boilers, the hull form might tend to be a bit tubby amidships to accommodate this.

Watcher

nhp651
25th November 2008, 22:13
sorry watcher but you are incorrect there. the museum took over all available plans from both C.W AND G and Cochranes.
if line drawings were available, then they were included, and i have had a number with lines off them over my20 years of building trawler models.
however, obviously if lines were lost in the past, the museum could not supply.
they do offer a very good service with cheep plans. just a case of whats available to them.

Watcher
26th November 2008, 00:04
Glad to hear I was wrong, and clearly Skipper's knowledge is much more reliable than mine. It must be 20-25 years since I had the opportunity to look at these plans, and nowadays my memory does tend to let me down. The postwar trawlers differed in dimensions, so CWG could not have had a 'standard' set of lines. I mention this because Smith's Dock, Middlesborough, built quite a few steam whalecatchers in the immediate post-war period, of comparable size to trawlers, and all of them used the same set of lines, although varying substantially in other details like the configuration of the bridge. I remember one particular profile in the Hull City with special interest, ...Kingston Agate(1937) since it featured the Maierform bow. This bow configuration was found in many German trawlers of the same date, and one wonders why it never found more favour ...maybe the patent fee.

Anyway, it sounds as if Phil should at the very least be able to get a set of lines which could be tweaked to do the job. It will be a pity indeed if there is not a GA of these splendid vessels in the Hull City Docks Museum collection.

Watcher