PDA

View Full Version : Wooden trawler construction plans

Michael Leek
19th November 2008, 19:35
I'm trying to track down Scottish builders drawings/plans of wooden built trawlers, such as ring net boats, etc. Plans of veseels built from between 1900 and 1980 are of interest, be they east or west coast, or even from the islands. I know of a number of plans for model makers but I'm more interested in plans of full-size vessels, particularly internal construction details (framing, planking, wheelhouse, accommodation, fish-holds, etc, etc).

JRMacG
21st November 2008, 16:52
Michael

I dont think you will find it easy to get builders drawings showing the details you are after.

Most of these boats were built with very few drawings (before 1950 most were probably built without ANY drawings).

Most of the fishing boat yards did not have a drawing office in the way that a shipyard or modern boat yard might have. They had experienced men who knew how to put a boat together once the shape of the hull was defined and the general arrangement of the ship agreed with the owner (there would have been a drawing for that).

For the dimensions and spacing of the timbers and the way they were fastened together they would have used the yard's standard for that size of boat (in their heads) - and latterly would have followed the scantling rules of what became the Sea Fish Industry Authority.

Some (probably most) of the boat drawings now sold for modellers were taken off the completed vessel. Some of these show more internal detail than would have been put on paper during the build of the boat.

The Admiralty style MFVs would probably have had more drawings available, since these had to be built to a standard and in yards not necessarily used to fishing vessel construction. I would imagine these still exist in archives - perhaps the National Maritime Museum.

Is it any particular kind of detail you are after - or a specific question you have ?

restlesswave
21st November 2008, 19:30
jrmacg if the scottish yards were anything like the irish yards in building a `standard`-re admiralty-there would be few similar! the standard irish 50` was a much varied beast-every yard putting their own twist on the design and construction-although i would assume that both the admiralty and the irish boats at least followed the framing plans (well maybe not!)
one famous irish yard building these boats to a so called plan at all the critical stages-the foreman gathered every body in the yard up-from the management to the apprentices to throw their eye on it -especially her sheer-and everybodies opinion was carefully considered-and changes were made accordingly on every boat.

MarkH
21st November 2008, 19:52
few and far between. What few that survive outside of the yards will either be i the scottishe fisheries museum in fife or the maritime museum in greenwich. the later have some to view on line.

out of interest, what are you wanting them for??

JRMacG
22nd November 2008, 17:38
Restlesswave - I reckon you are probably right

Not much paper needed for these guys to do their work. I would say in all the yards the eye would be used to fix all the important lines like the top rail and the waterline, not to mention all the smaller details.

If you dont already have Ted Frost's FROM TREE TO SEA - THE BUILDING OF A WOODEN STEAM DRIFTER, I can recommend it. That guy did a great service in putting his pre WW1 memories of wooden boat building on paper.

Now it seems everybody needs reams of paper to do anything - in the offshore oil industry some people demand documented "task risk assessments" before they can lift something weighing more than 25 kg !!

3762dazzer
22nd November 2008, 18:27
We always hear of the government stating they'll get the NHS, Police and every body else to cut red tape, I'm dealing with a job at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth a wheel barrow of the stuff for any small task that needs doing, nightmare:mad:

OffScotland
25th November 2008, 14:03
I can let you have a couple of drawings from the Irish 50-footers, the BIM boats if you send me an email address. The Tyrrell yard put their own interpretation of the bow and the stepped wheelhouse.... have a look at some of the images on my web pages.
Ian

Brian Hill
14th November 2009, 21:36
comHi There. Looking at this site for details of MFV's saw your query re: plans. The plans for 45, 61, 75 and 90 ft versions can be found in "Transactions of Naval Architects 1946" Vol 88. I have seen several copies of this volume on the S/Hand book market within the last six months. Hope that helps.

Brian

Davie Tait
14th November 2009, 21:37
Outstanding info Brian there's been a lot of guys looking for plans like that and at least we now know where to look so thanks for helping